Nightshade free Braised Beef Shanks Recipe
Just check out the picture below, doesn’t it just make your mouth water!
I always used Irish produced meat when I chow down on beef as I know it is grass fed and cows have lived a fairly stress free life ( I have numerous uncles who are Irish farmers). Obviously you can’t get Irish beef every where but a little investigative work on Google will point you in the right direction of your local grass fed beef producer/retailer.
I believe you can now order grass fed beef over the internet so also consider that as a viable option, just buy a large storage freezer and bulk buy.
Braised Beef Shanks Recipe (Nightshade Free)
- 4 Beef Shank
- 1½ Tbsp Coconut Oil, Organic
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 head Garlic, half the cloves smashed and chopped, the other half sliced in half
- 1 sprig Thyme, fresh
- ½ tsp Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Water
- Preheat oven to bake at 350.
- Rinse shanks under cold water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Sear shanks in coconut oil 2-3 minutes per side, adding a bit more coconut oil to the skillet as needed for each additional shank.
- Place seared shanks in pyrex baking dish.
- Saute the smashed/chopped garlic,and thyme leaves in the skillet for about 1 minute.
- Add broth/water to skillet and stir making sure to scrape up any of the brown bits from the shanks on the bottom.
- Bring to a boil until liquid starts to reduce slightly.
- Place remaining garlic cloves and additional thyme springs in pan withs hanks.
- Pour broth over shanks.
- Cover with parchment paper and then aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 for 2 hours.
Many thanks to primal palette for this this lovely simple recipe. Try serving on top of some mashed seasoned cauliflower!
Find more recipes on Smart Psoriasis Diet 30 Minute Meals Recipe eBook